Saturday, December 01, 2007

CONUMDRUM......

CONUMDRUM......

Okay I chose that as the title for this post for 2 reasons:

1- Had I thought of it, I would have included it on my list of favorite words during our Thanksgiving Extravaganza 07. I think I also would have included baffle, burble and chunky.

2- Here's the real condundrum, I got this out-of-the-blue phone call the night before last from a urologist in Provo last night. He runs a 2 person practice that's loosely part of the same multi-specialty medical clinic that my dad and his group joined a couple years ago. The short story is that both he and the other guy want to retire in 4-5 years and he's looking for a "partner" to work with for a few years as he eases into retirement and will then turn the practice completely over...and he wants me to consider being that partner. He wants me to come see his practice and discuss the possibility while we are out there over Christmas.

Right now there are only 4 urologists in the Provo/Orem area--which is crazy. Ann Arbor/Yspilanti (roughly the same population) has 22 at the U of M and another 10 at the Ypsilanti hospital. Iowa City/Coralville has 8 or so at the U and then 5 in private practice.
So the urologists in Provo do really well and can do pretty much whatever type of cases they want becauses there's enough clinical volume. This guy also has a sweet office and what are apparently state-of-the-art facilities, and it sounds pretty sweet to walk into an established practice with someone that will act as a mentor for a few years and then retire. Really if anyone in, say, Spokane or Denver or Portland were making me this offer, I'd be sigining on the bottom line right now.

So that's the conundrum. Let say this practice is as good as it sounds: great earning potential and the chance to do whatever I want. It's close to family (which has all of a sudden become increasingly improtant in my mind since my mom's diagnosis with Lupus and all my dad's knee problems), it's in a beautiful area with lots of great recreational stuff to do, there are four seasons. It sounds pretty good. But here's the thing, it's in Utah county, we've never wanted to be that close to home. We don't like the Utah county mormon vibe. We don't like the materialism. I'm not sure how I feel about having an office one floor up from my dad and my uncles and working at the same hospital as the entire Jackson family medical clan. Obviously, we don't have to decide this right now, but.........

Anyway, I was hoping you guys would all weigh in. What do you think? What would you do?

3 comments:

Go said...

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity, and when push comes to shove, it all comes down to family. Just remember you are stuck with them for eternity, so what is a few extra years? Good luck with deciding.

Chad said...

Wow, I can definitely see the difficulty. I guess what you have to do is compare this opportunity to what else you find in places you'd rather live. If you find something acceptably close to as good as this in a better location then I suppose that wins. If nothing else can touch this, you may have found your winner. I would just say make sure you know enough about what's out there. I would be wary of jumping at the first thing, unless it was perfect. Good luck! I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you decide is best, because you guys will make it that way!

Julie said...

Dear Rob,
I think it's conuNdrum. And it is 11:56, and your daughter just burst out in a chorus of Jingle Bells. She is nuts.
I love you!